Thursday, September 17

What to do when waiting ...

...For workmen who are (it is now very obvious) not going to turn up. 

I am using this hurry up and wait time to crack on with ideas in my head. One or two I can not share here as they will ultimately be chrimbly gifts, however what I can share is this - and if you are a true sewist or quilt maker or patch work enthusiast - look away now!

During covid I sewed face masks for friends and family and when I make marmalade to gift, I top the jars with fabric 'hats', this has left me with various piles of scrap material. I also have several bags of scrap fabric gifted from other sewing friends and when I went through what I had - it seems I have piles of festive material - hence this hare brained idea. 

I know it is hare brained as I am now attempting said 'idea' and am wondering at my sanity.... cue cutting fairly square-ish/rectangular-ish/sort of patches to make sure my colours and patterns are spread about. I have taken up so much floor space with all my snippings that I am having to lay out half of the table cloth at a time. (shakes head) 

I am slowly sewing together all my festive scraps to make a table cloth - but instead of ensuring all pieces line up and are the same size, I am cobbling together All shapes and All sizes ....hmmmmm.

Wish me luck!


When it is done, stitched to its base cloth then ironed, I will show you (or, as I suspect - I'll get fed up and won't!!)




8 comments:

  1. Must be something in the air, I got my Christmas fabrics out, I too have a patchwork plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! better make sure my meagre offerings turn out more than just passable (haha as that is what I was aiming for) interested to see what lovely things you will be making :)

      Delete
  2. I love patchwork but Xmas, not so much! It's definitely approaching sewing season for me now thw nights are drawing in, have you been watching Sewing Bee? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Christmas' in the traditional sense is really for my parents, however we prefer the just getting together as a family for food and board games around the table and eating and talking. As I started this tablecloth - I thought of you and your curtains! That is the style I am going for and the fabric choices - all based on what would originally been pagan symbols such at the holly and ivy - it is keeping my little head rather busy!

      Delete
  3. I hope your workmen turned up, it's so annoying waiting in for people who never show up, I've done that many times. I think your Christmas tablecloth will be all the more interesting for being made from fabrics of different shapes and sizes. I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, never did turn up - am waiting in again today on the slim off chance.... their excuse is that they are waiting for some of the kit they have ordered for the job and keep promising that that will be there on a certain day.... then dont turn up or let us know, so we end up (rather I still end up) having to wait in

      Delete
  4. I am very much looking forward to seeing this. I have soooooooo much fabric and haven’t been doing any crafting at all of late. I even listed some fat quarters on Vinted but o am itching to get the sewing machine out. I blame Sewing Bee πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Sewing Bee too! I am no way near even the weakest competitor but I was inspired to at least try something!

      Delete