Tuesday, September 8

September's Crunchy Ginger Biscuits


 Last night I made a second batch of ginger biscuits and yes - they are still yum. As ever, I have modified the original recipe to our own tastes which if you make them - feel free to tweak 😊The original recipe has the cooking times as  10 - 12 minutes however I found the biscuits were still soft even after fully cooling down. 

I returned them to the oven on 100 deg c for about 15 mins and that made all the difference. The second time of baking, I turned the oven off, allowed to cool a little and put all the biscuits back in on metal cooling racks (like the photo below) to crisp up for a further 15ish minutes. Then, once fully cooled they have a delightful crack and crunch to them.



Crunchy Ginger Biscuits

Ingredients

  • butter (softened) 170gm
  • sugar 190gm
  • 1 egg
  • Self raising flour 320gm
  • Golden syrup (or treacle for a darker taste) 150gm
  • Ground ginger 2 heaped teaspoons
  • Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
  • Ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon
  • pinch salt
Two tablespoons of granulated sugar, shake of ginger and cinnamon (to taste) - mixed in a saucer to roll biscuits into

  • Preheat the oven to 180 deg c
  • Cream the softened butter and sugar, add the egg and syrup and beat well
  • Mix in the spices and salt then add flour - mix well
  • shape into golf ball sized balls - don't flatten and roll in the sugar and spice mix
  • Place, space a little apart on greaseproof paper lined baking trays and cook for 10 - 15 min until a lovely golden colour
  • Place on rack to cool and return all biscuits to the switched off but still warm oven to crisp up - leave 10 - 15 mins. (This is optional - if cooked and cooled they have a soft centre but we like a good crack as we bite into them)
  • Cool and scoff with a good mug of your favourite hot beverage πŸ˜„

I used an online 'cups to grams' converter which made it much easier.



Hope you give them a go and enjoy them as much as we do 😊


11 comments:

  1. Hello again. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’m going to have a go at baking these coming weekend. I still use your recipes (previous blog) for lemony shortbread biscuits and your lemon drizzle square tin bake. So yummy. And your gingerbread tree recipe at chrimbly time. 🌲😊 Love your idea of making/creating gifts this year - hope you will be able to share your creativity, but guessing that may be tricky ahead of the day! I am thinking of doing this also so could use some inspiration! πŸ˜‰
    It’s so lovely to see Willow coming on in leaps and bounds - hopefully she will write her own blog post again some time soon. She looks so happy in your recent posts and I’m sure she will want to tell us all about how she is doing from her perspective. Hopefully. Just saying. Sylvia, The Netherlands. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvia - nice to hear from you :)
      hope you enjoy the biscuits, I can see my other half will probably eat this lot before the weekend and I will have to make more.
      Willow has a dogologue planned, think it is time I let her have to keyboard soon.
      I would love to share what I am making but I'll have to keep them secret for a little longer!x

      Delete
  2. I love a ginger biscuit, so I'll definitely be trying this recipe. Thank you, Kate. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do :) x

      Delete
  3. It's good when you find a biscuit recipe that really works for you! I am currently going through an 'oat biscuit' phase and have found a nice Delia Smith one which I have been enjoying. My hubby is enjoying Anzac biscuits with oats and coconut. Shop bought biscuits just can't compare, can they?!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh ooh - don't be keeping oatie biscuit recipes to yourself! We are oatie biscuit lovers tooπŸ˜„ I remember making Anzacs when we lived in Africa (silly question time - do you know why they are called Anzacs?)
      Have you heard of Betty Ferrie's sweet Shetland oat cakes - they are yumπŸ˜‹

      Delete
    2. They are called ANZACs after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The biscuits were made at "home" and sent to the soldiers at the front in WWI because they kept so well, having no eggs in the recipe.

      Delete
    3. Yes! Some one else who knows😊 we had them in Africa minus the coconut as wasn't always available

      Delete
  4. Ah, the clue is in the name..bis cuit !!
    Nice mug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - very clever and thanks - it is my favourite mug 😊

      Delete
  5. Thank you…they look very much like the Cornish Fairing biscuits I make…September is certainly bring out the ginger month! X

    ReplyDelete