Wednesday, September 9

Dog days, lavender haze

I worked today in a favourite moorland garden and apart from doing what was supposed to do, as well as 'entertaining' Willow, I cut back a lavender hedge.

The scent was utterly delicious and I could not bring myself to throw the clippings in to the compost.

So I brought them home!


After I had showered and eaten a late lunch, the girls and I went into the greenhouse to see what could do with the fragrant cuttings.

Then I remembered that somewhere I'd seen mini lavender head wreaths so with a bit of prepping I collected enough useable blooms to make two tiny circles. 

They are now hanging up on our bedside lamps ... Happy meπŸ’œ

So, if you have access to a bunch of lavender , this is what I did .. 

You'll need floristry wire, sharp scissors or secateurs, wire cutters, piece of pretty ribbon and lavender flowers.

Choose a good strong stemmed stalk (leave that one long) then trim the others very short.

Carefully wire around the long stemmed flower, then add a couple of short stemmed flowers, wiring around them, keep adding more flowers as you go along, 

Once it is long enough or you run out of flower heads, circle round and wire it to the other end 

Tidy up any wire or stalks showing and add your ribbon.

Step back and rightly feel pleased with yourself 😊


15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I can almost smell the lavender from here. Lovely to see Willow enjoying herself - what a different dog - and that she and the cat are friends - sort of. I can that Willow is squeezing herself up to the end of the bench to give the cat sone space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊 there was the gentlest of wafts of lavender all last night, really pleased how something so simple can make me so happy 😊. Willow ended up sitting a bit too close to the cat who very firmly told her to move over!

      Delete
  2. So pretty, our lavender went over ages ago and I cut it back, regretfully for it doesn’t seem to have fared well.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours up north seemed to have loved this summer, more akin to what they're used to I suppose.😊

      Delete
  3. Pretty with a wonderful scent, I just pop mine in tiny silk bags and pop them in our wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wondered about doing that, but there wasn't that many useable flowers after the two wreaths. Might try that with the leaves. Some of which I have struck as cuttings and I still have a bucket load left😊

      Delete
  4. So pretty, I fear lavender here didn't survive well through the summer drought, flowers finished weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warm summer was, for the lavenders further north, a boon as they did so well.

      Delete
  5. Oh, they are so pretty and the scent must be lovely. I have failed with lavender too many times, so just admire it in other people's gardens!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is too damp and too shady, fortunately this moorland garden is drenched in sunshine (when it is not doused in mist!) and the lavenders seem to love it :)

      Delete
  6. very pretty lavender rings, must take some patience to do. I love seeing your pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, they were not that difficult to assemble and the scent while I was doing it was glorious :)

      Delete
  7. Oh these are lovely. I can almost smell the lavender. I’m sorry I’ve not commented for a while. Your updates haven’t been showing on my sidebar so I’ve only just realised I’ve missed a load of posts. Blogger can be a bit of a pain at times that’s for sure πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bogger issue seems to be resolving at the moment , still lots not being shown however there is definitely an improvement on the links which I am pleased about

      Delete
  8. So beautiful. Can you still smell them? X

    ReplyDelete