Thursday, January 25

It's just a phase πŸŒ˜πŸŒ—πŸŒ•πŸŒ“πŸŒ’

I have, for some time, been having a case of the 'wanties' but was refusing myself as I suspected what I wanted was probably being made in some sweatshop.... So I fought off those 'wanties'.

A little later I saw an artist making tree decorations using the metal from a used tomato puree tube and it was like a light being switched on. Firstly I made some tiny decorations for my tree ..... 

Then I used and saved my next tube of tomato puree for - the waxing and waning of the moon.

Want to know how I made it? Oh go on - I'll tell you seeing how nicely you asked!!

What you need is:

  1. metal tube of tomato puree (Aldi's is a lovely gold colour on the inside, don't know about other brands)
  2. Wooden spoon
  3. Scissors
  4. art paint brush - I used the wooden end for all the mark making 
  5. needle and thread
  6. black paint - I used acrylic
  7. Cork board/mat
  8. kitchen towel or rag
  9. something circular - I used a large reel to make the shape of the moons
  10. A nice twiggy twig
  • When using up your tomato puree, don't roll or scrunch the tube as you go along, try and keep it as flat and as undented as possible. Cut off the top and bottom and along one side.
  • Open - CAREFULLY as now you have sharp metal edges
  • Wash and dry and then with a wooden spoon, rub out any crease marks or kinks as gently as you can
  • Using the back of the paintbrush, draw around your circular template - you need FOUR moons to complete this particular pattern.
  • Cut out the circles CAREFULLY!!
  • One circle remains whole - this is the full moon
  • Cut the second directly in half
  • The final two circles, cut a large C shape off leaving you with SEVEN moon phases.
    • New, Waxing Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full, Waning Gibbous, Waning Quarter and Old.
  • Using the back of your paintbrush and leaning on your cork board (a folded tea towel works too), dimple and pock mark your moon phases.
  • When happy with the texture, use the side of your brush and gently curve down the edges to give more of a three dimension shape.
  • Using the acrylic black paint, I painted the backs to hide the origins of the tin - fully dry.
  • Splodge black on the front, allow to partially dry then remove the excess with kitchen towel, add extra paint if you feel you need more depth - allow to dry fully
  • Carefully pierce the top of the moons with a needle and thread - making sure you have a mirror image of the segments. 
  • Tie to a suitable piece of twiggage
  • Hang up!
  • Step back feel chuffty wuffty with yourself and go and make yourself a brew and wash the paint off your fingers! 


Post Script - trying not to huff too much when the moon phases gently twist round and settle back to front.....
Have you had the 'wanties' and realised that you can make/do/find what you wanted without breaking the bank?
Let me know if you have made something like this or you try this one out - but if you do - PLEASE WATCHOUT FOR SHARP EDGES (yes I was typing firmlyπŸ˜πŸŒ“πŸŒ•πŸŒ—)

28 comments:

  1. Nice one..a good tip to remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you 😊, certainly going to make more x

      Delete
  2. Lovely work. I hadn't forgotten that you can use tom puree tubes. I fancied having a Mari Lywd and ended up making it from felt that I already had. Am now contemplating another small project
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you☺️, they were simple enough to make and make me smile🌚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely...rather fancy one of those hares! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊 definitely have to give it a try - a lovely way to spend an hour or two🐰

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful, so lovely to see you creating again. 🫢🏻

    Tomato puree tube tip: Cut the tube open with the puree still in it - my OH wanted the metal for something and we found it quite easy to cut off the crimped bottom with scissors, then as close to the top as possible (that part can get a little messy), and then straight down and open out the metal. The puree can either go straight into a mahoosive bit of batch cooking or I used to freeze it in portions in silicone ice cube trays. A quick wash and you have an uncreased ‘sheet’ of lovely pliable material. Look forward to seeing what you make next, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet lady! thank you!! that is a pro tip indeed - so pleased with the end result I shall be doing more 😁

      Delete
  6. I've seen these lots of times before but yours are definitely the most beautiful ones I've laid eyes on.
    Is that why my money was burning a hole in my pocket last week? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - thank you so much😊, I am watching it right now, the heat from the woodburner is making it gently twirl and I am loving it!

      Delete
  7. How pretty, especially the hare. You are very talented. πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon πŸ™‚ you'll have to give it a go πŸ™‚make a Hugo or Slinky☺️

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Love the hare and cottage. I remember we used to use toothpaste tubes too before they changed to being plastic. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you😊 I'd forgotten we'd used 'metal' toothpaste tubes to do things like that

      Delete
  9. Clever you. I agree with others about liking the hare. Using a tomato paste tube sounds very messy! Threads Through My Life here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you😊 TTML, it wasn't that messy to be honest and it was worth the effort by the end x

      Delete
  10. Another vote for clever you, and for the hare, and MOST impressed with you dealing with the 'wanties' so effectively. Now to see if Aldi on the other side of the planet from you has the same type of tom paste tubes! Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you😊 - I hope your Aldi has similar tubes - coz it is a lovely 'free' resource (once you have used the tomato paste of course !) worth playing with x

      Delete
  11. This is incredible, Kate! Truly inspired. I have been coveting one of those decorations myself, now I might just have to go and buy a tube of tomato puree and get busy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! just watch your fingers - have fun! 😊

      Delete
  12. What a brilliant idea. I might pinch this for my craft group. I love the hare and the cottage πŸ˜€ Carol Life of Pottering x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Carol - have fun - would love to see the end results x

      Delete
  13. Amazing! And, yes, I often have the wanties, but it's so much more satisfying to make something, adapt something or find something in a charity shop. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. I definitely relate to having the wanties. I'm pining after buying yet more fabric at the moment, despite having so much already. It's so hard in a consumer-driven society to resist the constant urge to buy. Online shopping makes everything so easy too. One click and it's yours. As to your artwork, it's fab. I think I've seen the same account on Instagram, and wondered about cutting up the tomato puree tube! But knowing me I'd cut my fingers to ribbons too... Absolutely love the hare. Would very happily possess that. Val x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you😊
      I'm glad you have commented here Valerie - I have been trying to comment on your blog several times now and I just cant - not even as an anonymous visitor - so please don't think I am ignoring you - I just couldnt find a way around saying hi and love your craft work x

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry if this comment comes through twice, the first one disappeared so I thought I'd try again! Just wanted to say I love these projects! And also mention that fizzy drink cans are very cut-uppable too, although possibly not that pretty gold colour on the inside. If you cut the ends off and along the seam (can use scissors, although preferably not "best" ones) you get a good sized rectangle of embossable, bendable metal. I seem to recall making roses this way - cutting a tapering length with a scalloped edge that you roll up and then curl the petal edges back. Painted with acrylics too. :-)

    ReplyDelete