Tuesday, January 9

how I hug (hygge)

A chill wind is cutting through clothing outside today and despite the woodburner glowing warmly - I am cold. Bone Cold. If I put any more clothes on I shall not be able to bend.....

I know that being more active would certainly help however I have a few sit down/computer/book keeping tasks to tackle as well as a drawing challenge which I need to start. I am trying to get back in to sketching having stopped suddenly in October 2019. Yes, I can be that specific. Talk about going cold turkey.
Despite the sun, our house is quite dark, the angle it was built all those years ago (it is about 170ish years old) did not factor in the modern need and understanding for the requirement of natural light.

I resort to candles and lights to fill the dark corners with light and warmth, I love the flickering light against the walls.

On a whim (well sort of a whim - an idea has been rattling around my head for a while) I bought a mirror ball. In the optimistic hope that small shards of light could be captured from the sun and light up the room and it did for a brief time when for about 20 minutes the sun shone obliquely across the village and into our window. The lounge was filled with sparkles and twinkles and made my heart sing. Just need to find it the perfect sun basking spot🌞
So, that and the thought of the hyacinth bulbs filling the room with their glorious scent make me rather happy.


Post script : what do you do to bring a little light in to your life? 





5 comments:

  1. It's been gloriously sunny here today but that wind's icy! We used to have a disco ball in the house but moved it into the garden as it was driving the cat daft! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wind is icy. Our cat has not even acknowledged the sparkles - she is not 'affectionately' known as Miss Haversham for nothing....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've got a lovely home. Very cosy. Sadly I didn't think to buy any bulbs for indoors, but the ones in the garden are tentatively poking little green shoots out of the ground. Can't wait until we see the first snowdrops appear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about biscuits and tea for me at this time of year! I have been tracing the low sun across the bedroom wall & pondering making pencil markings to mark the seasonal shapes. You home looks super cosy. This post has made me want a coffee and my sketch book though, thanks ;) xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fairy lights, and lots of battery candles fill our cottage at the moment...our home can be rather dark too...especially the dining hall which due to us building the kitchen on the back does not have any outside window. Cosy but dark! x

    ReplyDelete