Tuesday, August 18

Life

 Life has a funny (not so funny) way of turning things upside down. 

There are things you know will eventually happen but until they do - that day seems far away.... until it is not.


We have just helped my parents to move into sheltered accommodation - which is something they have been trying to get into for the last two years and now that it has happened - their lives, or rather their health has just evaporated. 

So - if I am a little quiet on here for a while - there is a reason. Or many reasons.


Shuttling aging parents to doctor appointments, hospitals and collecting scripts from the chemist. 

Dealing with the wound clinic, the memory clinic, the council.

Organising the council tax, change of address, getting the gas turned on, arranging for the tv aerial man to connect said aerial, meeting well meaning new neighbours and their very yappy dogs, dealing with the original rather unhelpful landlord, moving a greenhouse, emptying a shed - and so it goes on.

Helping those who used to be independent to get dressed.

Trying not to sigh or to snap when a simple question is answered and then asked again, then answered, then asked and answered, asked and answered ..... - all day......

The absolutely terrifying thing is - this sudden deterioration of their health and of themselves - has been so rapid that I feel like the wind has been taken out of my sails.



I'll be back, but not just for a little while.

15 comments:

  1. I am sure you are inundated with supportive messages from people who have gone through what you are experiencing, so can I just add that one day you will be pleased that you had the opportunity to makes this journey with your parents, and also, don't forget that this time too will pass. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Beth, yes both here and those who I know, the support has been really good and I owe so much to my Eldest Son and his lovely GF and my other half, they have worked so hard to help. Things are settling down now - so hoping life with even out fingers crossed

      Delete
  2. Remember to look after yourself as well, hopefully they will settle into their new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - It has been a tense week, it does seem to be sorting out and I am hoping that the 'strangeness of it all' is what has send everyone off kilter has passed and things will settle.

      Delete
  3. We are the sandwich generation, caring for ageing parents and often young grandchildren too. I suppose I'm fortunate in that although Stepmum lives close by, I have 2 Stepsisters and a Stepbrother who she calls on first, I do take her out, but she is still quite independent. We do the schoolrun for Granddaughter when asked and also look after 9 month old Baby C who is now crawling. Its all go. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was explaining the sandwich generation theory to my other half as he'd not come across it before, then your comment landed - it explained it perfectly - you are correct - it is all go x

      Delete
  4. Take care. Hopefully things will calm down a little once they are settled. See you when you’re ready to come back 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, we are over the worst of it and things are settling thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. sending (((hugs))) for all xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be gentle with yourself. Love and hugs for you all. Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. All best wishes with it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure you look after yourself too - that is so important. Hopefully things will settle down, but it is always difficult when life throws these curved balls. We have been through alzheimer's and dementia with family members, so we understand. You are not alone.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete