Thursday, March 28

Another brick in the wall*

I find that I look forward to the days I can 'art' for a couple of hours. As the weather warms up and I return to my seasonal garden work, my time to get the brushes and pens out has reduced. The escapism it provides is turning out to be cathartic so I am going to try to ensure I can still 'play'.

The small group which we have started at work seems to be enjoying 'arting' too. I am not the only one benefiting from the results. There is a wonderful small wave of pride as the books and work are shared - including one or two who I quite wrongly suspected would not even participate - how wrong I was!

Between us, we share the theme choice - so some are quite out of my comfort zone (as it is for others) and my results each week are rather variable. Below are some from the last few weeks.

World of Whimsy (I went down a rather dark route with this one rather than the cutesy style the others did)

Thunderstorms and Cloudy Skies
Communication - poison arrow frog 

I am also playing around with different ways - so at the moment one of my favourite things to do is 'art-small'. I found a rather tiny tin, cut papers to fit and paint mini pictures to fit the tin! Pocket paintingπŸ’™

You can not believe the joy this brings me! I have made a bit of a traveling art studio in an old pencil case, small enough to fit in my haversack and plan to do a painting or two, when we are out walking. (Cue eye roll from Himself!πŸ™„πŸ€ͺ) Fortunately they are surprisingly quick thanks to their teeny tiny size.


And, what have I been working on today? Well, this week's theme is 'Building' - happy heart jump! I love drawing wonky houses, tumbled stones, shingles, slate roofing - so - happy me!

It was at this point I discovered that the black pen I'd used was not water fast and as soon as I tried to apply a sepia colour wash - it smudged - oh well, c'est la vie!





Post Script: The title? Well, I was wondering what to call today's post when on the radio -  Pink Floyds' Another Brick in the Wall was requested by a listener - cheers mate! 


18 comments:

  1. Wow, your artwork is fabulous. I love your art in a tin. You are very talented xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art Small is a good idea. I've never thought of watercolours that small...that is even smaller than the one grandpa used!!..which I still have, packed away....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the convenience of Art Small - definitely pocket painting and so quick. The watercolours I bought some years ago so I could dabble when we were camping in the caravan but never used as much as I intended but now they have come in to their own! You'll have to find your Grandpa's paints and a tin and when out pootling with the Pirate, do some painting en route ❤️😊

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful. I particularly like the small art you have been doing too. Creative play is so important, isn't it?
    Best wishes and happy painting
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree Ellie, being creative is so important!

      Delete
  4. Your little paintings are wonderful! When I was a teenager I made small watercolor paintings, about 9 x 9 cm or so, some even smaller. They were mostly dark and depressing, but then I was a lonely and depressed teenager! I like your idea of using a tin. Celie, still reading tho haven't commented in a long time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie, Being creative helps me and my head, either as an escape or an outlet❤️ have you painted since?

      Delete
  5. How beautiful! Love the idea with the tiny paintings. I’ll show it to my daughter who has chosen art classes in high school.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KJ - if your daughter is on instagram, if she puts in #tinypaintings - there is lots of other folk doing something similar, I found it yesterday and was rather inspired!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant...especially loving the tiny pictures. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll never be able to listen to that song without thinking of Bob Geldof and his razor blade, it gave me the heebie jeebies as a teenager!
    Gorgeous art, you're so talented! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never saw any videos for music until the early 80s - living in Zimbabwe we were restricted to what we could watch xx

      Delete
  8. Wow the house looks so real, amazing. Happy Easter, enjoy your art x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always a pleasure to see your artwork, Kate. You have a special talent. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sometimes think you do not realise just how exceptionally talented you are.

    But I know what you mean about looking forward to "arting" for a couple of hours. It's how I feel about sewing when I have been away from it for a while. Being creative calms the soul.

    ReplyDelete