Monday, September 28

Super scrummy pancakes for breakfast

A very welcome calm start to the day - The builders have rung in sick today and I have put them off for tomorrow as I am busy. So a blissfully clear drive, an easily accessible back door, a kitchen I can walk in and make a brew and loiter, no large blokes whistling or singing, no plaster dust, no off cuts of wood everywhere and a lot quieter!  I shall make the most of the builders being away for the next couple of days.

The house-full of family and birthday celebrations went well. I adore having the boys and their girls staying with us however, once the house has emptied and all has been cleaned and put away - there is that lovely moment of calm.

On Sunday I made a new to me pancake recipe for breakfast and they worked beautifully.  The original version would not have made enough for the gannets around the table, so I doubled it. They are like eating little lemony flavoured pillows of yum. I didnt take any photos - but I do recommend them.

The original recipe (in Italian) had the still hot pancakes dropped into a saucer of sugar before serving, which I did try - bit unsuccessfully as sugar got everywhere, I had to wash my fingers after each one, the sugar, once warmed, got 'clumpy' and did not stick evenly. 


Italian lemon yoghourt pancakes - makes 6 - 8 pancakes, double/treble as necessary!

85g plain flour
1 tspn baking powder
pinch bicarb
20gm sugar
1 egg
120g vanilla yoghourt 
2 tspn lemon juice
grated lemon zest

Frying pan with a lid (preferably glass)
oil for cooking
sugar for dusting

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl
Mix all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl then combine gently, do not over mix or beat.
Allow to rest for about 10 - 15 mins (the mix then develops a beautiful fluffy texture)

Drop gloopfuls (I used a soup spoon) in to a lightly oiled med hot pan and lid up briefly - this helps cook the top half of the lovely fat pancake, then flip over to brown.

When done, drop into a saucer of sugar, (or omit this stage) then pile up on a plate and serve with toppings of choice.


They did not last long....


Very few photos were taken however I shall subject you to a couple of building snaps I took during last week.

Skimming the plasterboard
think he was singing something by Celine Dion at this point

quick snap of the back yard - it was still 'tidy' at this point
it got worse!

It appears we had three false ceilings - no wonder our kitchen felt dark and small!


The next step after the roof, skylight and ceiling are completed? We will be ripping out the outdated brown cupboards and replace with white ones - can't wait!





10 comments:

  1. Exciting times, sadly first the messy bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on head with that! definitely at the messy stage still - looking forward to waving them bye!

      Delete
  2. I hope it will all be done and finished in good time for you. We have some major work to do after a leaking water pipe, but neither of us are inclined to move everything out of the rooms, particularly as we have nowhere else to put everything we need to move. It feels like one of those little hand held games where there is one square missing and you have to move all the others one at a time to get a particular one to the centre! It will have to be done before too long though.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that game and the describes exactly what has been going on here recently - don't want to play that one any more!
      I cant seem to find what I am looking for in the boxes in the hall or the boxes in the diningroom or the boxes upstairs and if I was looking for a positive - my step count is doing very nicely thank you while I look for a mug or tea bags or side plates or whatever!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a major ceiling re-do! I'm still unpacking from a move, and had spent several weeks just wandering between the tubs that haven't been unpacked, but yesterday finally said I wanted to decorate for Halloween, and unpacked a bunch of little witch figures! It felt so good to again be thinking of beauty, rather than where the heck is everything! Patience! And you will have such a lovely kitchen when it's all over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be good once done, it was lovely a peaceful not having the builders for a couple of days, they're back tomorrow so I am enjoying having the house equally will be glad when finished. Then I can completely empty all the boxes of kitchen goodies! Well done finding the little witches :)

      Delete
  4. That's quite a job you're having done. I'm not surprised you're happy to get a couple of days respite. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a 'relatively' simple job but like all old houses, there are always hidden issues and fortunately the ones we had were not too serious, but enough to cause problems.

      Delete
  5. I’m sure it will feel worth it when it’s all done. I have been waiting to decorate upstairs for years but have had a problem with a leaking chimney which has taken numerous visits to try and resolve. Hopefully it is now sorted but I think I am going to have to leave it till after winter just so i am confident it is not going to leak again 🀞🀞🀞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will, it already feels so much nicer and there is still a lot to do. The weather is not helping though!
      Our neighbour had an issue with a leaky chimney, took them several winters to discover where the problem was - as you will know, you can only test it when the weather is rubbish and then you have to wait till everything dries out

      Delete