Monday, August 24

Autumn slips in uninvited

I've just stumbled back in from a dog walk - we, Willow and I, definitely needed the air and now we have returned, she has fallen asleep at my feet and I am contemplating a brew - hmmm - yup, I agree with myself, I do need one.


Thank you everyone who commented so kindly on my last post, I won't go in to details how awful these last few days have been especially as it seems we have come through from the other side and I don't want to dwell on what has happened.

Has anyone else noticed the nip of autumn in the air? I know that trees have shed their leaves early this year due to water stress however, that metallic scent of decay that comes with the cooler weather seems to be swirling around first thing in the morning when I take Willow out for her first piddle before breakfast.

I am not ready for autumn. I never am.


I watch for the swifts and mourn when the skies have been left empty and then when the swifts go a few short weeks later - I can feel my heart crack. I have been scanning the sky today - nothing. They have left whilst I was sinking in the mire of moving house and truculent parents. 


It doesn't seem that long ago I was all nerves and white knuckles while I was learning to paddleboard with a dog who hated water (which as we all know turned out to be a fallacy and this woofing lunatic loves swimming after all!) 



11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad things are a bit better for you for the moment. Gorgeous pictures as always, especially of Willow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it is the lull before the storm
      Last week was just a precursor - a hint I am sure - of more to come.

      Delete
  2. It's much cooler in the evenings here, my garden is closing down, far to early this year, but it's been a harsh summer for plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely greener up north but yes, the garden definitely looks tired and ready to drop leaves. The roses have been fantastic as have my sunflowers - they have really enjoyed the warmth

      Delete
  3. Definitely Autumnal... chilly evenings and a hot water bottle needed at night.. and luxurious warm afternoons....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is that transitional time when it is not quite warm enough over night but still warm and occasionally humid during the day

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of summer, so I am really pleased we are approaching autumn. I have struggled through these last two months. My cyclamen hederifolium are flowering, so that is a sure sign that things are changing. I do understand how people who aren't like me don't welcome it though. I love the autumn colours, the gentle light and the cosiness, the soups and the cakes and crumbles, putting on jumpers and curling up with a book! I hope you'll be able to find some things that you will enjoy.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in Africa probably influences my love of big skies, warm days and sunlight. Don't get me wrong, I don't bake myself to lobster red! no, it is the darkness, the dreariness, the drabness of winter and the never ending feeling that spring will never arrive, that drags at me and although autumn is beautiful, it is what it is heralding - the end of summer - that I struggle with.

      Delete
  5. I love.the autumn amd spring. Hope you get some respite from the stressesx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer and spring for me :) and thank you x

      Delete
  6. We have just come back to Wales and , whilst autumn is one of my favourite seasons I too am not ready for it. I know the heat and lack of rain has its issues but it has been so nice knowing that tomorrow will be warm enough for plans involving shorts. On another note the barn swallows are gathering here. We counted at least 100 on the power lines that cross our lodge park the day before yesterday. Yesterday there were half a dozen and today, as I write, there are none ☺️

    ReplyDelete