Tuesday, February 6

Don't believe the hype

I am - or so I thought - fairly savvy when it comes to the 'ideal and perfect life' that the majority of instagrammers imply. Often with a rather cynical eye I will view a post and wonder how many folk were AI-deleted or if the image was snapped quickly so to avoid the inevitable crowds.

But...... Apparently not, even I can be drawn in! 

A couple of weeks ago,  I saw a lovely little reel of a pair of pretty legs in black leggings with the lightest grey casual crocs daintily tripping along some stepping stones. Now - what you would not have picked up with me just saying 'stepping stones' what how WHERE she was and WHERE those stones were going made me over excited. 

They were in Cheedale not far from where we were staying a couple of weekends ago - so I showed Himself and begged to go. (Visions of photos opportunities and stories to share filled my tiny brain...)


A quick screen grab of said reel - see what I mean! (images from @ukhiddengems)

Himself checked out parking and said he'd found a pull off place just above the river and planned a route. Great excitement!

When we pulled up - we could barely find a space (that should have been the first warning), we were fortunately in my little car rather than Zeb (our converted van) and slipped into a small space which had been previously rejected by larger vehicles. The place was CRAWLING with folk - mostly in pretty faux fur hooded parkas and white trainers. However, the amount of red faced, mud covered and sweaty weary walkers returning to the carpark should have been the next warning....

From where we parked, I looked over the wall down into the valley are marvelled at the row of houses at the valley bottom, wondering how much sunshine they would get down there while we strapped on our boots.  Then we set off. Down into that valley - all you could hear were shrieks as folk were slipping down the path. Squeaks of alarm as they grabbed each other. Groans as mud splashed up on them. We finally reached the bottom fairly unscathed but even we agreed that the recent rains had made the stony track rather slippery.


Crossing the burbling river towards the cottages I'd spied from above, we then turned right and followed the well worn path along the river. It got muddier and muddier, there were kids and dogs and fed up parents trying to stay upright as they herded their families along.

The path had obviously been hammered by previous flooding and in places was quite trickly. As we continued passing day trippers and their white trainers I wondered if they too had been taken in by the reel and were expecting to recreate the same magical moments along the stepping stones......
The river was just a turbulent coffee coloured mass of water - that and the pale sunlight and drabness of winter made for a rather sepia glow. However the brightly coloured parkas and kids coats dotted the length of the pathway added colour to the valley bottom.
We then caught up with, and became tangled up in, a huge family with lots of chatty children just as we arrived at the first (did not know there were two) stepping stones. It is at this point I shall mention the word MUD. Please keep that in mind.
All thoughts of daintily tripping along with my cellphone and my not quite as pretty jeans and boots along the lovely stones in crystal clear water beneath a loomingly HUGE rock face just went out of the window. It was every one for themselves!
Slippery? Did I mention Slippery - No - ok SLIPPERY SLIPPERY SLIPPERY - like B/@@&# HE|| SLIPPERY!
Himself set me off first - he knew I wanted to take pictures, so he and the extended family let me go first ...................... ooooof, I very quickly discovered that I could not happily walk (they were just a bit too far to stride - I had to slightly jump step to reach) and balance (not good since my knee surgery) and film (I needed BOTH my eyes and HANDS to feel safe) and oh yes ... mud. Slippery mud. Not sure if I mentioned either word.

As I reached that corner - where the stones go round to 'nowhere' - a  woman popped round with a cheery grin and her family .... and we HAD TO PASS EACH OTHER! She stopped smiling when she saw how many folk were behind me (possibly about 12 - 14 in the family along plus others we'd over taken and had now caught up as the family passed each child from rock to rock...)

When I reached the far side back on to 'dry' land I was quite relieved. Himself and I then strode off leaving the good natured traffic jam behind us and after another five - ten minutes of slipping alongside and below the huge outcrop we came to the second set of stepping stones - I sent Himself first this time!

These stones were larger and slightly closer together so I was able to get some film and the folk at the other end fortunately waited for us to cross before setting off. Talk about the relief of walking on a muddy slippery path again! (Is it at this point I mention I saw and spoke to Steve Backshall?) 

At the furthest point of our walk, we left the river, returned up the valley side and met the now disused railway (turned into a lovely dry - mud free - road) we sat down, drank tea and nibbled our snacks. Going back was a completely different beast!
Tunnel after tunnel burrowed through the hill sides made for a wonderful return.
Each one had it's own personality and resonance - the interior brickwork was fantastic and the slow progress along the muddy path in the valley bottom was soon forgotten as we strode back towards the start.

Was it a good walk? - definitely, despite its challenges - yes, was glad to do it. Would I do it again? No. Some walks I will return to year on year, this one - not so much. Been there, Done that, Not doing it again! Will I be taken in by another wonderful Instagram post? Hope not - but.... you never know!πŸ˜†


Post script: I am writing this as the rain is hammering it down outside - absolutely lashing it down. Snow has been promised for a couple of days time.... I am ready for spring. And you?




18 comments:

  1. I’m really glad I read your post Kate. The Cheedale stepping stones have been on my list of things I want to do in The Peaks for ages. I think they may be just a bit ambitious for us though. We did find another set of stepping stones that we liked though, in addition to the obvious at Dovedale. These were near Hathersage and were far more doable but still pretty impressive πŸ˜€ Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, a lot of folk came from the other side to us, so the access is quicker and easier but you would still have to forge down a rather stony ledge and very uneven pathway to get down and then deal with the masses of folk too - it was an experience, glad we did it, but I wouldn't repeat it😁

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know how that Instagrammer managed those steps in her Crocs with not a bit of mud on her pretty feet and staying upright, I doubt if I could have!
    Your photos are gorgeous and fancy meeting Steve Backshall. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! did wonder if she walked there in wellies and donned the girly crocs for the video😁

      Delete
  3. Oh you poor dear, that is a prime example of what a mate of mine refers to as Instaf*ckery.

    It’s also a lovely example of why I have a little ‘travel’ book, make a note of those lovely-looking places and resolve to wait at least 6 months, maybe 12 until the mass of Great-British-Usually-Only-Walk-On-Pavements have gone back home. xx

    PS: Is SB as lovely and hunky IRL as he appears on his programmes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was well and truly sucked in by the instaf*ckery (love that!)
      SB is shorter and stockier in real life but still with a chest wide grin and he was doing full on dad mode as he was helping his little lad through a stream - his wife was herding the two other even smaller peeps through the mud. I was just warning him how bad the path was going to get and he thanked me, cue huge grin, as he hauled his boy by his waterproofs through the stream!!

      Delete
  4. Well done on tackling the stepping stones, the return journey looks much more doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - the return journey was definitely the reward for the 'trials by mud' path earlierπŸ˜†

      Delete
  5. That was some walk....you were brave to do those stepping stones!!

    We are SO ready for spring....this is the first winter we have had here since 20-21.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what blogger is up to - it would not let me reply then it did?!?
      blogger is playing silly bu&&ers again - with you being here for winter for the first time for a few years - you will have 'felt it' more so. Here is to a kind and gentle spring!

      Delete
  6. Oh my...could have ended in disaster...hope tea and biscuits were on hand for recovery purposes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea and biscuits are a given - with out them there is NO walk! πŸ˜†

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnily enough, those stepping stones appeared on my Instagram feed this week. It might have been busier than you'd hoped, but it still looks beautiful. You did well to keep out of the water. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hidden gems...... yes those stones look wonderful but I do think hidden gems should stay hidden! Too many people visiting spoil such places.... but that's just me! There is no way I would have attempted to walk on those stones so thanks for doing this for me! TTML.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I can just imagine how much my other half would curse me for dragging him to do that photo opportunity πŸ˜‚, it's something I would totally do though. Well done for not falling in!

    ReplyDelete