Monday, October 5

GIRL- rilla (guerrilla) gardening 🌱

 You know I said .....Once again, waiting in for the builders - this should potentially be their penultimate day with tomorrow just the final coat of paint - fingers crossed!

Well - ever the optimist I have yet again found that I was proven wrong - sigh.  While I was out working and Himself was in charge of baby sitting the builders he sent me a message saying that today's builder took one look at the new ceiling and offered to pull it down and do it again. Himself and I had already decided that we were not happy with how it was looking - as it dried so it began to bulge and we had the lumpiest ceiling you could imagine. Not quite back to square one but not far off.

Interestingly enough - what had taken four days for the two and sometimes three chaps to get this point in the make over,  was completely dismantled and redone in one by the new fellow. Guess who's business card we have taken. 

So. Today the new builder is coming in to paint the ceiling and take away all the rubbish the others had left - they all work for the same company - not as employees but as contractors. There is a lot I have not mentioned about our kitchen roof escapades, I could fill a small novelette with the shenanigans and disasters this lot have had however I have nicer things to share.

The reason I was away and Himself had the 'pleasure' of brewing up and chivvying on the builders - I was doing some 'guerrilla gardening'.  A secret garden make over as a birthday gift arranged by one of my garden clients. She and I had quietly planned this for a couple of weeks as she knew her friend would be away for a few days over her birthday.  


So Friday we swooped in while they were gone and completely redid a rather wonderful large stone watering trough. 

My lovely garden client made an excellent apprentice for the day :)

The house is on old farm land and the trough had been used for cattle. It then was unearthed over 30 years ago and hauled up to the then new house as a raised planter. With time the trough had just become a weedy collection of alpine strawberries and Alchemilla mollis. 


I'd suggested a mini alpine scree garden which seemed to go down well.  My client had managed to take a couple of sneaky photos and pace out the size of the trough so we could plan plants and design the shape. All good fun.

What a cracking view this garden has, it was such a lovely place to work for the day and by the end of it we had transformed the old weed ridden stone trough to a sweet mini scree garden - I love doing these sort of things!

The neighbour - a retired police man - came over to see who was fettling around in the garden and stood and chatted for ages, admiring our work and suggested we do a secret make over for the entire garden! Which - although is kept very neat, does need sorting, however it is rather large and I could see it being a year long project........ So, think I might just stop at this lovely stone troughπŸ˜„

So - while I wait for the final (fingers crossed) builder, I think it is time to put the kettle on - fingers crossed for an end of the disruptions - the cat is rather fed up by it all πŸ˜„

One grumpy cat firmly attached to the duvet whilst avoiding the building chaos downstairs






..

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like your renovations have been a bit of a nightmare to say the least. I bet you were glad of a gardening distraction. I hope all gets sorted for you very soon ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely the gardening was a delight and so good to get away from the dust and the noise - interestingly enough by the end of the day my other half pronounced himself knackered by their antics - he'd done one day....... I've waited in and brewed up for them for eight days....

      Delete
  2. I am sure the recipient will be delighted by their new scree trough. The little yellow Lewisia looks very much at home already. Sorry to hear the building shenanigans are continuing - I bet the cat is not the only one fed up with the disruption! Hopefully, things will be sorted soon.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping so, she is still away - back tonight so I will get feed back when I next work from my client.
      The Lewisia looked so happy there, there are three little plants all with buds so they should give a lovely little show before it gets too cold. The builders have arrived and seem to be doing what they should, fingers crossed all will be done by end of play 🀞🏼

      Delete
  3. Guerilla gardening - what a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete