Pages

Monday, August 10

Swindale - remote, wild and beautiful

Last week we had a few days away - we keep having these mini escapes and they are rather addictive! The weather was a little damp at home (we 'joke' that we live near Mordor* as it is usually overcast and driech a lot of the time) and although we need the rain, the urge to get out drives us to pack the van and head off. We stopped at Glasson Dock for a walk and lunch before heading up to Swindale a remote valley in the eastern side of the Lake District.
 

And it is remote.

There are a couple of places to park both big enough for several cars so we tend to choose the quieter. This time we used the one further up the valley. We arrived late in the afternoon as folk were leaving and after we'd eaten we donned boots and took Willow for an evening wander. It does feel isolated and wild and forgotten. There are houses along the valley, a number we think are privately owned homes with a couple of working farms - we suspect they are tenanted farms from the water authority with the RSPB very actively involved.

We discovered a nature trail that we'd not known about and gave that a gentle try - it was getting dark and we (well - me) didn't want to get to far out on an unknown path and have to stumble back when the light was failing. So I ushered back a reluctant husband and dog to the main track and we headed back to the van for a hot brew and to pour over the maps to see more about the trail for the next day.

After breakfast we set off with flasks of tea, nibbles, dog biscuits and cameras and re-joined the new trail - which was a delight! (especially to a dog who discovered revolting things to roll in - I was SO cross!) The path followed the now 're-wiggled' Swindale beck which had been straightened 160 years prior and within six months of returning the beck to it's original state had filled with salmon and trout and natural gravel banks, eddies and deep sections have given space for nature to return. The wild flowers and insects were lovely to see and (despite a stinky dog) we loved heading up towards the head of the valley.


We met a few folk about - a woman checking on her Dalesbred ponies (which were beautiful), a group of RSPB blokes checking on the terrain and a couple of lovely older chaps who were just resting for an early lunch just before heading up for the tops. They were chatty and fully of joy for the area. They pointed out a waterfall we had spied and encouraged us to check it out - and so glad we did!


There were multiple pools and drops each the more lovely or dramatic and I was tempted to shed my boots, roll up my jeans and dangle my feet in - I made it as far as my toes - it was definitely chilly mountain water! However a small, stinky and sweaty dog threw herself in with glee and swam and paddled until she smelt sweet again! Happy dog (happy me!)


The falls were the furthest point of the trail so we crossed the footbridge and returned back down the valley on the other side. This was more treed - so cooler but also boggier, can see why it is used by the water authority as a collection point for water. A bit of skipping over mud and forging through shoulder height bracken was called for but it was still a delightful walk.

I want to go back and do it again.





The one small thing that irked me - something that still makes me tense up - I'll explain. 

A quick back story - Willow is afraid of men, not all, but something triggers a reaction. 

A voice, a stance, a smell, a look - something makes her react. We are working through it and with patience and time I think we will get it to a stage where she will be wary rather than reactive.  A couple a weeks ago I had an incident with a man who despite me asking him to step back and his wife telling him to do the same, invaded both my space and Willow's and she tried to both be protective of me, of her space and her need to hide really rattled me and obviously her.

On this lovely trail, we met a family of four, mum and dad and two teenagers. 

And their puppy Archie. The dad was in charge of the dog - let me rephrase that - dad was holding the lead and had absolutely no control. The pup leapt up at us, charged at Willow and as before despite me saying please keep your dog away - he just let his dog bounce on its hind legs trying to leap on to Willow, I retreated and (this is where I can feel my hackles rise)  he...followed.... being dragged by the pup.


It was his teenager daughter who stepped in and sharply spoke to the dad before he stopped, and like the previous man's wife - I made a point of thanking her - but this is where I feel my blood boil - why do they think they know better, why do they not listen when I ask them to give her/me space? 

It is not all men - but it is always men.



And to change the subject - here have a picture of our lunch in the van 🌞


* - Mordor is a reference to a place in Lord of the Rings - always covered by tempestuous clouds and grey skies

10 comments:

  1. Mud? What's that?
    Your story reminds me of the man who wanted to fly a kite on our campsite, much,much too close to the high voltage wires. I said it was very dangerous his family agreed - he blustered for several minutes - hating to give in to women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mud envy?😄we were grateful that we were not walking during a typically wet summer, we would have been up to our knees in it
      What is it with men ? Apart from - as you say - being seen to give in to a woman!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely break away. I'm with you on mini escapes being addictive, they do say that a change is as good as a rest. We always used to let Archie off his lead and he'd mostly stay at the side of us, unless he found a particular scent trail which he followed, but I always put him back on his lead if I saw a dog approaching which was on a lead, even though he'd just walk past. It's just courtesy, an owner shouldn't have to ask you to keep your dog away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with letting dogs off - means they get so much more than being on the lead constantly - but like you - call the dog in and lead it up if necessary, yes it is courtesy, I do it for them so I fully expect likewise.
      Thank goodness our mini escape was so lovely that this moment paled into insignificance :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this post...except the screwy men who don't pay attention to women. You should yell at them "Warning!" to get their attention...perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! And yes I am tempted to get a little more feisty with the next bloke who feels 'he knows better than the little woman' I have all sorts of shouty words rattling around my head but I end up saying 'ᴇxᴄᴜꜱᴇ ᴍᴇ' and 'ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ' and 'ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʀᴀᴛʜᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ' may be I should just full on yell at him!

      Delete
  4. That looks like a lovely break for you all (despite difficult men and stinky dogs!) There are some beautiful landscapes there to enjoy.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - there is so much beauty and wonder out there, just have to go and find it! (Minus difficult men and stinky dogs)!

      Delete
  5. Oh I remember mud … I think. It’s been a fair old while since I’ve seen any. We took Bobby to maize maze today and they said to wear good footwear in case of mud. No mud today … but sooooooo much dust. We all came home with filthy legs from knees to ankles 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dusty knees and feet happened this last weekend in stark contrast to Swindale.
    We were down near Wakefield and was just like a dust bowl🔥

    ReplyDelete