Yes, it does seem like I have been missing in action and I suppose to a certain extent that is true. I've not written anything here since the 1st May - is it really that long ago?
So, instead of trying to fill you in with EVERYTHING that has been happening, I'll just give a few snippets.
Hi - my name is kate although I also go by the alias hawthorn and yes I do choose to write them both with lower case initials. I also prefer to write in pencil and when I have to be all 'grown up' and use a pen and unless legally required - I refuse to write in black. (school related trauma here!)
I love taking photos.
Last week were were up in the lakes on paddleboards - Himself has been cogitating over the last couple of years about them and when I let slip I wanted to get out and get back to wild swimming (something I did for years until I came to the uk) he took that as the nudge HE needed and literally 48 hours later we had SUP boards and all the accoutrements required. Talk about being swept up in the moment.
The first couple of sessions - learning to paddle board in the rain and trying to teach a dog how to be a safe passenger without panicking all whilst trying to negotiate a swell on the sea .... were not the best and probably poorly judged.
The turning point from fear and uncertainty to tentative joy was when quietly sitting on board, with the dog whilst surrounded by puffins, guillemots and razor bills at Flamborough Head. It felt I could reach out and touch the sky.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from that moment - I was still too on edge to stop concentrating on the board to wrestle my cell phone out of my buoyancy jacket - my hands would not let go of the paddle.
Apart from my own gentle pride (relief ?) that I am finally getting less apprehensive, my delight is in how Willow has blossomed. When we first had her, she was very water-aversive - not even trotting through a puddle out on a walk. We had been carefully introducing water into all walks but not really having much success. Until now. Despite falling in several times, having to be hauled out of the sea, out of Coniston Water and Ullswater - she now leaps onto the boards, plays in the shallows, will actively choose to walk into a river for a drink or a wallow if she is hot. We are so pleased.
So - I am back.
If you have read this far, thank you. I had been tinkering with instagram and it didn't quite hit the mark, it seemed very 'I'll follow you if you follow me' only to be unfollowed almost immediately. Felt very shallow and self serving.
With that - I shall leave you with a sunset - we've seen some cracking ones this year - hope you have too xx
You're back!! Welcome! How wonderful. And with adventures, with Willow and fabulous photos, as usual. SO thrilled to see you!! Your Flamborough Head moment reads like a dream, certainly a moment to remember.
ReplyDeleteOh Beth what a lovely welcome back - thank you so much!
DeleteYes, Flamborough was definitely a magical moment, I was still rather on edge and having the birds first fly above and around me then to land in the water - I wanted to cry, hug myself, whoop etc but didn't dare move hahaha
Nice to hear from you, glad Willow is still loving her new life, you are braver than me on the water.
ReplyDeletethank you Marleen, yes Willow is still showing us how much she is settling into her new life and it is rather rewarding after what was scaredy little scrap we brought home.
DeleteMy water bravado was slightly misplaced - I was a proper water baby as a child and teenager and you forget (as you get older) how the invincibility of youth fades - but I want to make the most of this glorious summer
It's good to see you back to blogging and to read about your adventures on the water. x
ReplyDeleteThank you Eileen - I'm glad to be back, hadn't realised how I'd missed this friendly community.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back ! and well done both you and Willow xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Gwyneth - glad to be back - I have missed the conversation you get with the blogisphere 😊
DeleteSorry my autotext has corrected your name - incorrectly! - and I can't correct it to Gwynneth x
DeleteOh how wonderful, both for you and for Willow. Glad she has overcome her fear of water. As you'll know after reading my post about Antigua, Mick had a go at paddle boarding whilst there, he loved it. He's keen to give it a go again on our shores but whether he'll actually do it or not remains to be seen. Perhaps if he had a wife who was happy to go along with his love of water but I have to say that it's really not my thing. Perhaps he can get one of the kids to go with him, they enjoy water nearly as much as he does.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jo :)
DeleteI have discovered that there is a huge SUP community out there and there are friendly groups that you can 'join' bit like a walking group so you can get out on the water and not be alone - worth looking if Mick fancies carrying on x
Your holiday looked very special and Willow looked very much at home. She has come on so well and it's all down to you and your family's careful, patient work. You were brave to do the paddle boarding, but it looks as though it was so worth the angst!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Thank you Ellie - it has been a 'quite enlightening' learning curve - both Willow and I were definitely out of comfort zones but we have 'survived' to tell the 'tail' haha
DeleteI am so glad to see you back and paddle boarding looks brilliant. I’m so pleased that Willow is still thriving and settling in so well x
ReplyDeleteThank you Carol, it has been a steep learning curve for both Willow and myself, but we are 'surviving' ☺️ living to tell the 'tail'!
DeleteGood to see a post from you.
ReplyDeleteAnd to hear about the paddle boarding adventures
Thank you! x
Delete
ReplyDeleteOh
Kate, that doggo trusts you and some! Welcome back. Xx
Thank you☺️ I am amazed at Willow's ability to trust us after her shakey start in life, but she does and it brings an awful lot of joy x
DeleteIt's lovely to see you back and to see the progress Willow has made x
ReplyDeleteVery glad to see a post from you! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteKJ
Lovely to have you back. I thought you'd all vanished into the sunset in your van. Love the new post, and Willow's life jacket in particular. So glad she is getting to like water. x
ReplyDeleteI would imagine it's very good for clearing the mind. A couple I know have been driving down to the sea at 6am to paddle board.before work. Great way to start the day.
ReplyDelete